HOME!

2/9/2014 5:00pm

After an apple sized tumor removed and a full foot of small intestine removed, Kevin is home! Not only home, but home and NED! The doctor removed the tumor and there were no others to be found! I am a happy camper right now! Time to recover at home and start the 'watch, wait and scan' phase of life. Words cannot describe how grateful I am to all of you for your thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement.

POW - (2/9/2014 - 5:30pm)

Kevin is home!! Hooray, hooray!! I hope he is resting comfortably and recovering quickly.

I'm amazed that the tumor was the size of an apple! Didn't you say that the original CT scans only noted a "thickening" of the intestinal wall? If that is true, it supports what others have reported-- CT scans aren't really good at finding mets in or near the intestines. I assume that's because the intestines don't stay still; they move continually. Does anyone know of a better imaging technique for finding intestinal mets than CT scans?

mwcollins - (2/9/2014 - 7:03pm)

The CT scan did say "thickening" suggesting a possible met. . . I'm so glad we got the PET follow up! That gave us an idea of how big it might be, but I still never expected it to be THAT big! I'm just so glad it is gone!

POW - (2/9/2014 - 9:01pm)

Thanks, Megan. I realize that different types of scans are good for different situations. Now I know that PET scans can find tumors around the intestines better than can CT scans. Good to know.

Fen - (2/9/2014 - 6:41pm)

Wonderful news!  Here's hoping recovery is swift and uneventful. thanks for the update.   Fen

Brendan - (2/9/2014 - 7:02pm)

Great news for Kevin!  Enjoy the NED status and get some rest (both of you!!).

Brendan

tschmith - (2/9/2014 - 8:13pm)

Wonderful news!  I agree...now it's time to relax and get some rest.

Terrie

jahendry12 - (2/9/2014 - 8:15pm)

Great News!!!  Thanks for the update.  Hopefully you can both get some much needed rest.  I'm sure your kids will be helping to take care of their dad :)

Julie

Maureen038 - (2/9/2014 - 8:31pm)

That's such wonderful news!! Thanks for letting us know.

Maureen