Enlarged Lymph Node in Neck

TLR
2/27/2011 8:07pm
TLR

I was diagnosed with stage 1 one year ago (site was right back). Had wide excision, negative SN. Now ultrasound is showing enlarged lymph node in my left neck. Wouldn't this be an unlikely area considering my original location and stage? The doctor has me scheduled for a ct scan on Thursday.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tracey

lhaley - (2/27/2011 - 9:57pm)

Tracey,

It could be an infection but it's best for your Doctor to be proactive and to make sure!!   Unfortunately mel doesn't follow any rules so while you would hope that it doesn't jump lymph regions it can. Mine spread via blood and not the lymph system.

Until you have the results remember that he is just checking, it might just be something else!!  I have had nodes that have swelled and gone down on their own.

Fingers are crossed for you!  Let us know the results.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

TLR - (2/28/2011 - 6:06am)

Thanks for your encouragement, just very anxious at this point.

Anonymous - (2/28/2011 - 6:41am)

This may be nothing at all and the scan will hopefully put your mind to rest.

Unfortunately, this board is full of stage 1 people who progressed years later.  Good luck to you.  I'm hoping you'll come back and tell us this was a false alarm.

Joan C - (2/28/2011 - 6:43am)

I had an enlarged lymph node right near my melanoma site last year, I am also stage 1.  A PET scan showed nothing, but the doc wanted to remove it anyway.  Thankfully it was benign.  Could have been enlarged from an old infection and just never went down, he said.

What prompted the ultrasound?  Can you feel the node?  Nodes swell often if you are sick, of course.

Joan C - (2/28/2011 - 6:43am)

TLR - (2/28/2011 - 5:51pm)

The ultrasound was done to check the carotid arteries and they found the enlarged lymph node incidentitally. I have been haveing a lot of neck and shoulder pain on the left side, but that wasn't the reason for the ultrasound.