Hi! I just discovered this site today and am excited to find a place where so many people have had similar experiences. But I was hoping that someone could help me out with this - 8 years ago I was on interferon. I did the whole 20 doses and then 11 months on my own routine. But now, I'm thinking about trying to have a baby and can't find any statistics or anything. I don't have an oncologist anymore. (He retired a couple years ago and I just see a dermatologist now.) Has anyone on here gotten pregnant after interferon, or know any information? I don't want to go to a fertility specialist until I've tried for a while, but was hoping someone out there had some good (or bad, I guess) news. :) Wishing you all the best!
Home > Find Support > Patient Community > MPIP: Melanoma Patients Information Page > Fertility after Interferon?
Fertility after Interferon?
Melanoma Quick Facts
Melanoma is one of the fastest growing cancers in the U.S. and worldwide. Consider:
- One in 50 Americans has a lifetime risk of developing melanoma
People under 30 are developing melanoma at an alarming rate – the incidence soaring by 50% in young women since 1980
- Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for young adults aged 25-29 & the second most common cancer in adolescents and young adults aged 15-29
- In 2009, nearly 63,000 people were diagnosed with melanoma in the U.S., resulting in about 8,650 deaths
- The American Cancer Society projects that nearly 77,000 will be diagnosed and 10,000 will die from melanoma this year
- Every eight minutes, someone in the U.S. will be diagnosed with melanoma
- Every hour of every day, someone will die from the disease