I had a mole off in September 09 that was malignant melanoma. Re-excised in Novmber and now there is a small mole in the middle of the scar tissue. How common is this? DO I get it checked out asap?? I am quite worried!!
Home > Find Support > Patient Community > MPIP: Melanoma Patients Information Page > There is a mole in my scar issue!!!
There is a mole in my scar issue!!!
Melanoma Quick Facts
Melanoma is one of the fastest growing cancers in the U.S. and worldwide. Consider:
- One in 50 Americans has a lifetime risk of developing melanoma
People under 30 are developing melanoma at an alarming rate – the incidence soaring by 50% in young women since 1980
- Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for young adults aged 25-29 & the second most common cancer in adolescents and young adults aged 15-29
- In 2009, nearly 63,000 people were diagnosed with melanoma in the U.S., resulting in about 8,650 deaths
- The American Cancer Society projects that nearly 77,000 will be diagnosed and 10,000 will die from melanoma this year
- Every eight minutes, someone in the U.S. will be diagnosed with melanoma
- Every hour of every day, someone will die from the disease