Miles for Melanoma Triathlon Program
Research shows that exposure to the sun increases the risk of a melanoma diagnosis. For endurance athletes who train outdoors, prolonged exposure to ultraviolet radiation can mean racing for more than medals but for also their lives.
The MRF is proud to partner with IRONMAN® to raise awareness about melanoma prevention and raise money for the next treatment breakthrough! Join our Miles for Melanoma Triathletes Team!
There are two ways to join our team of triathletes who swim, bike, and run, to raise money for the fight against melanoma.
Option 1: Secure an entry to the SOLD OUT 2014 IRONMAN COLORADO 140.6 race.
The MRF has pre-paid entries to the IRONMAN full distance race on August 3.
- Email MRFIronman@melanoma.org to see if there are still entries available.
- Commit to the fundraising goal - $5,000 contract for the 140.6 full distance race.
- Complete your contract above and have it approved by the MRF.
- Register online with our Triathletes Team.
- Create your fundraising page. Tell everyone why you support the MRF.
- Raise your required funds by one month prior to race day.
WE HAVE SOLD OUT OF THE BOULDER 70.3 ENTRIES.
Option 2: Race for Free!
The MRF has athletes participating in triathlons across the country. If you're registered for any race (even Boulder!) and want to join the Miles for Melanoma triathletes team, you can do so for a small entry fee of $20. There are no fundraising requirements - raise as little or as much as you can - and you're still eligible for fundraising incentives and reimbursements.
- Join the 2014 Miles for Melanoma triathletes team.
- Create your fundraising page and include your race information. Tell everyone why you're helping the MRF.
- Reach your fundraising goals and receive special thank you gifts and reimbursements.
Free skin screenings at 2014 IRONMAN events
Skin checks are extremely important for IRONMAN athletes, who endure higher-than-normal sun exposure. Having a dermatologist at hand means a greater likelihood of catching potential problems early.
This is why the MRF will offer free skin screenings by a dermatologist at the IRONMAN events held in 2014. In fact, dermatologists who performed skin checks at previous IRONMAN events identified several suspicious lesions that may have been melanoma. Remember: melanoma is usually curable if caught before it spreads, but is often deadly if found too late. Please take advantage of this chance to stay safe with a free skin screening!
The MRF needs volunteer dermatologists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and registered nurses to help with our skin screening program. It's fun and fulfilling to be a part of this lifesaving program.
We also need volunteers to help us at the 2014 events - no medical training is needed, just the desire to help us provide life-saving screenings. Students can earn community service time by volunteering at one of our events.
Dermatology Volunteers Needed
We need volunteer Dermatologists, NP's, PA's, and RN's to help with our skin screening program. It's fun and fulfilling to be a part of this lifesaving program. Please read this letter to our Dermatologisty professionals.
If you have time to volunteer at one of our upcoming events, please sign up using the links below.
- May 17, 2014 – Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas – Houston, TX
- Jun 15, 2014 – IRONMAN 70.3 Boulder – Boulder, CO
- Jun 29, 2014 – IRONMAN Coeur d'Alene – Coeur d’Alene , ID (east of Spokane, WA)
- Jul 27, 2014 – IRONMAN Lake Placid – Lake Placid, NY
- Aug 03, 2014 – IRONMAN Boulder – Boulder, CO
- Aug 24, 2014 – IRONMAN Louisville – Louisville, KY
- Sep 07, 2014 – IRONMAN Wisconsin – Madison, WI
- Sep 21, 2014 – IRONMAN Lake Tahoe – Lake Tahoe, CA
- Oct 11, 2014 – IRONMAN World Championship – Kona-Kailua , HI
- Nov 01, 2014 – IRONMAN Florida – Panama City Beach, FL
- Nov 16, 2014 – IRONMAN Arizona – Tempe, AZ
Volunteer at an upcoming IRONMAN Event
We also need volunteers to help us during these events - no medical training is needed - just the desire to help us provide life-saving screenings. Students can earn community service time by volunteering at one of our events.
Still have questions?
Email MRFIronman@melanoma.org to learn more about participating on the Miles for Melanoma team during the IRONMAN 2014 season!