Just joined the fight!

Posted By
10/9/2017 3:10pm
View other posts by
Replies: 5

I'm 31 with stage 3b, fully resected, NSD.  I'm waiting for my gene testing to determine if targeted therapy is an option.  If not I'm suppose to wait for the nivo vs ipi/nivo trial to start for my adjuvant therapy.  It's been tough to say the least, but I'm pushing on with the fight. My question for y'all is there a possibility that after treatments there won't be a recurrence?  I understand everyone is different, and my chances of recurrence are high.  I just want to hear if there is a story of such a situation.  Also, how long should I wait for the nivo vs ipi/nivo trial?  Should I just do the yervoy since I can do it now?

ed williams - (10/9/2017 - 3:53pm)

Hi Jayming86, here is a link from one of the leading Melanoma specialist on adjuvant Ipi vs nivo, data is from last month so hot off the presses!!! http://www.onclive.com/conference-coverage/esmo-2017/nivolumab-superior-...

Anonymous - (10/9/2017 - 8:41pm)

Hey OP,

There is definitely a chance that you avoid recurrance but it is good to see that you're preparing for your risks.  The difference between these BMS immunotherapies in terms of survival in the adjuvant setting is only slight, and weakly supported by the data, but the side effects can be very different so I would talk about that carefully with your doctor and not really stress toooo much about which adjuvant treatment you jump into in terms of these big survival data studies


Threefitty - (10/9/2017 - 10:35pm)

Get used to reading all the trial info on CT.org. You will usually find that you have a "shelf life" as an eligible patient after your resection. Sometimes short.

I was in your shoes earlier this year.  (wasn't offered gene testing option)  I defered on yervoy (A/K/A standard of care at 3b) and did get into a CT where I am guessing I am on Opdivo. The wait was around 12-15 weeks, IIRC. I do not regret it. First, Opdivo does perform better than Yervoy. (if that's what I am getting) Second, the side effect profile is better. Of course this is luck of the draw. At the time, there were not a lot of open trials, so I travel from Ft. Lauderdale to Dallas frequently, and am fortunate to have family and support in just the right place. Point is, I might have defered treatment, traveled, and all for the same drug. (3 arm CT)  Still wanted to do it, because I had the same attitude as the title you gave your post.  I think you want any chance to pull a combo arm.

Jayming86 - (10/10/2017 - 11:26am)

Did you have surgery to remove lymph nodes?  How long after surgery did you start treatments?

obtu.bt - (10/10/2017 - 1:33pm)

Hi Jayming,
I am in stage 3 and had complete lenf node removal then started ipi + radiation 1 month after surgery and going together with them