Why isn't Rigvir used in the US?

DZnDef
10/16/2015 6:24pm

On today's episode of The Quest for the Cures (episode 3) there was a long segment devoted to melanoma and Rigvir which was developed in Latvia and is approved in Latvia and Georgia by those countries' versions of the FDA for the treatment of melanoma.  The show interviewed several long-term survivors of melanoma who used Rigvir (which is a virus that replicates inside of cancer cells, destroying them while leaving healthy cells alone).  One survivor was too weak to get out of bed but her parents drove her from St. Petersburg, Russia to Riga Latvia for treatment and now she is fine.

I was thinking of Artie while wathcing this as he has tried so many things with limited success.

I'm just curious if anyone knows the status of this in the US.  Is anyone attempting to get it approved here?

Maggie - Stage IV (lung mets unknown primary) since July 2012.  Brain mets September 2016.Taf/Mek, gamma knife, Keytruda resulting in clean brain scan and tiny remnants in lung as of July 2017

Anonymous - (10/16/2015 - 10:56pm)

Some of the German cancer clinics also use RIgvir.

I believe you have to have a number of injections over a period of time.

The research is quite promising on it as well.

It is not used elsewhere for obvious reasons.

Unless you have billions of dollars you are locked out of the mainstream model.

Only big pharma has the bucks to do the necessary clincial trials to get through the FDA and approvals process.

There are possibly hundreds of potential cancer cures out there that will never see the light of day. And what works for one person wont necessarily work for another person as we are all different even if we have the same type of cancer.

I think we will move to individualised cancer treatments in the next 20 years or so but in the meantime for most people they are stuck with the standard treatments

The problem for the cancer sufferer is that there are a lot of charlatans out there that reckon they have cures for cancer but they really dont have any clinical research to back up their claims.

It is a real catch 22.

Linny - (10/17/2015 - 11:23am)

That's a good question!

Some have argued that because RigVir has not undergone the same level of testing that other cancer drugs have undergone that it can't possibly be any good. Clinical trials and testing for it were performed in Latvia. This is because it was under Soviet occupation at the time and were not able to test it on a wider population segment ("Red" tape, haha). Besides, it comes from a tiny country that no one's ever heard of so it can't possibly be any good. It's not manufactrued by a major pharmaceutical company so it can't possibly be any good.

Yes, enough with the sarcasm for now. But as far as approval in the US is concerned, I think it's a long way off. Artie would probably need to go out of country to get treatment.

We'd probably know more about RigVir if it weren't for a key thing that happened in Latvia in the early 90's - independence! Since the end of WWII they have been under Soviet occupation. With the collapse of the Soviet Union they lost funding and support and have needed time to regain their footing. It sounds like they were on the brink of something major when "independence happened".

I believe RigVir is something to keep an eye on. Other pharmaceutical companies are following suit and researching virotherapy so there has to be something to it. But the Latvians have been researching it since the 1960's. Not sure how long these other outfits have been researching it. But my gut instinct tells me that RigVir has a handle on it.

For those at Stage II and III it could be a viable option, if it were available. It does not have the side effects that interferon has. And it may even have an efficacy rate higher than 5%.

Stage III, Unknown Primary; 1 positive node in left axilla

After some googling, I found this study published this month in the online journal "melanoma research".  Here is the conclusion of the study

"Rigvir is an oncolytic, nonpathogenic ECHO-7 virus that significantly prolongs survival in early-stage melanoma patients without any side effect."

Here is a link to the whole study

Anonymous - (10/17/2015 - 11:06pm)

From their website I read that you need to take the injections for up to three years.

Still it sounds like a good option for early stage patients especially given that it is non toxic.

Linny - (10/18/2015 - 11:16am)

Hi Maggie,

If you go on RigVir's web site, there are some videos from Stage III and IV melanoma survivors that are pretty impressive. Not to worry they're either subtitled or dubbed in English.

Normally I'd post the link here, but I'm afraid the new spam filter may block it. If you google RigVir the first result should be their web site. The term "virotherapy" is in the url. Then click the Patient Stories link.

Stage III, Unknown Primary; 1 positive node in left axilla

DZnDef - (10/19/2015 - 11:58pm)

Thanks, Linny, I watched some of the clips.  Very promising.  It seems that since nothing is currently offered other than interferon for stage II and stage III, that Rigvir should at least be an option for those folks (no side effects higher than grade 2 reported).  I was invited to a "melanoma luncheon" at UC Irvine this Wed.  They're going to present their research strategy (hoping for donations I'm guessing)?.  I'm going to bring the Rigvir study with me and see what their take is on it.

Hello DZnDef

I am interested in RigVir,

Did you show the research to anyone at the melanoma luncheon?

I live in the UK, but I am  from Latvia originally, I could probably get some contacts and find out where to get this medicine..

Linda