Posted By
Nick C
11/17/2017 10:49am
View other posts by
Replies: 8

Hi all..Things have taken a detour in what I thought was a relatively smooth ride. Started Keytruda in January. By the end of May all know lesions were gone or "resolved". There was a new suspicious spot in the abdominal region that was concern to my onc. We continued with the treatments, but continued to see progression (hoping it was psuedoprogession). Last Friday's scan showed continued progression. Today was suppose to be a treatment day, but after my appointment with my Onc, it was decided to have me meet with another on their staff to see if any trials may be available. If no trials, then the next option is Yervoy (which I tried to avoid going on). Will probably see the trial coordinator after Thanksgiving. In the mean time, my Fridays are now free.

Everybody have Blessed Thanksgiving.


ed williams - (11/17/2017 - 12:02pm)

Nick have you had a biopsy of the spots?

Nick C - (11/17/2017 - 2:28pm)

They are in the nodes and have shown up in all the scans since May.

Anonymous - (11/17/2017 - 2:50pm)

Did they show up on the PET too?Sorry you are dealing with partial response.

Nick C - (11/17/2017 - 3:40pm)

Yes, that's where they first showed up. Since the second scan was a CT, they weren't sure about the progression (apples vs oranges). Still relatively small, but has double in the last  months.

ed williams - (11/17/2017 - 4:06pm)

Nick,sorry for all my questions but I have another one, is your oncologist a melanoma specialist? Second question is how much of a change in size has there been?

Nick C - (11/17/2017 - 7:50pm)

Yes he is...did research at Vanderbilt. It has probably doubled in six months. Still relatively small...4. x 3.5cm.

TexMelanomex - (11/17/2017 - 11:19pm)

Hey Nick,

I'm excited that the Keytruda got them all but one. Is it operable? Perhaps that node, or region of nodes could be removed? If thats not a prudent option what about the Ippy/Nivo combo rather than just Ippy by itself? I'm guessing since its in the abdomen intralesional therapy won't be an option. I have one (well really two) in my adbomen, or at least I did when I started Keytruda 8 weeks ago and won't know what's still there until January.

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving also and I'll say my prayers that you get this last stubborn node out of your life in the near future.



Nick C - (11/19/2017 - 12:00pm)

Hi Tex,

Actually, I have two on the right and one on the left. Surgery is out...too far apart for one incission, plus, there is the chance that it will reappear someplace else. The option using Ippy would be the reverse of the Ippy/Nivo combo in some ways. Four treatments of low dose Ippy as a single therapy. Both my Onc and I want to use this as a last reort.  Radiation is out because they are too close to organs.  I'll keep you posted as I meet with Clinical Trial Coordinator to see if there any available to me.

Thanks for the prayers...all of mine, except for one, have been answered.