National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention
The Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF) is proud to be a core member of the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention (NCSCP). Along with the other core members, we are leading the way as a united voice to prevent skin cancer through education, advocacy and raising awareness.
The Core Members of the Council include:
- Melanoma Research Foundation - Co-Chair: Shelby Moneer, MS, CHES, Director of Education, MRF
- American Academy of Dermatology Association
- American Cancer Society
- Skin Cancer Foundation
The Council is made up of over 45 organizations, agencies and associations who stand as a united voice to reduce skin cancer incidence, morbidity and mortality through awareness, prevention, early detection, research and advocacy. The Council is always looking for new member organizations. If you or someone you know is interested in becoming a part of this diverse group, please learn how to join the council!
What We Do
The NCSCP is involved in a variety of health policy and educational initiatives:
Indoor Tan-Free Skin Smart Campus Initiative
Unfortunately, despite the known risks and the fact that indoor tanning devices are a known carcinogen, tanning salons and college campuses often go hand-in-hand. The Indoor Tan-Free Skin Smart Campus Initiative awards U.S. universities and colleges that promote skin cancer prevention policies and education on campus. There are 3 ways for a campus to receive the award:
- NOT list any off-campus housing that includes indoor tanning as an amenity on the university's off-campus housing listings website
- NOT permit any indoor tanning salon to be included as a university-affiliated debit card merchant
- Provide access to educational programming (e.g., educational website) focusing on the risks of UV exposure and skin cancer prevention practices to students, faculty and staff at all times
Platinum Level is achieved by fulfilling ALL 3 criteria. Gold Level is achieved by fulfilling 2 of the 3 criteria. Silver Level is achieved if 1 of the 3 criteria is met. Know of a campus that should be nominated? Nominate a campus here!
Don't Fry Day
The NCSCP declares the Friday before Memorial Day as "Don't Fry Day". This year, Don't Fry Day is May 26, 2017. The Council has developed a variety of resources for non-profit organizations, local, state and federal governments, public health professionals and educators who promote the importance of skin cancer prevention and sun-safety behaviors to use, including the Don't Fry Day logo and promotional materials.