Wondering how to get more involved in the fight against melanoma? Want to help raise awareness in your community? Volunteer as a Melanoma Messenger for the Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF)!
Each year, our volunteers - or Melanoma Messengers - contribute hundreds of hours to raising funds for new research and educating the public about this serious disease. Whether speaking to the media, organizing a grassroots event in the community, or answering phones at our national headquarters, each Melanoma Messenger plays a crucial role in our success.
The MRF Melanoma Messengers program is a national network of volunteers that help educate, build awareness, and raise money for melanoma research in their local communities. As a Melanoma Messenger, you can bring the national voice of the MRF into your local community.
Apply to be a Melanoma Messenger: Email Mary Mendoza, National Director of Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put VOLUNTEER in the subject line, and indicate which of the following volunteer activities you're most interested:
- Special Events Support: Get involved with an existing MRF event! Each year, our dedicated volunteers organize dinners, walks and runs to benefit the MRF. These events always need help. Check out our Event Calendar to find out what’s going on in your area. If there isn’t an event in your area, consider starting one! Contact Jena Dickman, Event Coordinator at MilesForMelanoma@melanoma.org.
- Community Outreach: Join our team of volunteers who raise awareness by distributing MRF materials to doctors' offices, and health fairs in their local community.
- Advocacy: Become an advocate for the melanoma community. We need volunteers to help us push our legislative goals by meeting with their members or Congress, or writing letters of support (or opposition) of anti-tanning bills, etc. Once a year, we host a Lobbying Day on the Hill, but there are things to be done all year-long, right in your own community. Send an email to email@example.com to request the new MRF Advocacy Toolkit.
- Peer-to-Peer Phone Buddy: WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY RECRUITING VOLUNTEERS FOR THIS PROGRAM.
- Wednesday Night Volunteers: Join us every other Wednesday evening at our National Headquarters (Washington, DC) to assist with office support. This is a great opportunity to meet other local volunteers and to do something meaningful after work.
- Share Your Story: As part of our effort to raise awareness of melanoma, the MRF frequently speaks with members of the media. If you are interested in sharing your story about your personal experience with melanoma email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about any of the MRF volunteer opportunities, send an email to email@example.com.