Links You May Find Helpful
Here you will find a variety of resources that may help you during a melanoma diagnosis or search for additional information about melanoma.
Educational, Support and Other Melanoma Organizations
While the MRF is the largest independent research organization devoted to melanoma, there are many organizations and foundations involved in the fight against melanoma. Please visit our friends at:
- American Cancer Society
- Bill Walter III Melanoma Research Fund
- Cancer Hope Network – offers free and confidential support to cancer patients
- Cancer Support Community
- CancerCare - offers a variety of services, including an interactive tool that allows you to search a variety of supportive services.
- Faces of Skin Cancer – gives people affected by advanced skin cancer a place to share their stores
- Help for Cancer Caregivers – provides numerous resources for caregivers
- MD Anderson Network – cancer support group
- MelanomaGirl Foundation
- Mike Geltrude Foundation
- Mollie Biggane Melanoma Fund
- National Cancer Institute
- SHADE Foundation
- Skin Cancer Foundation
- Susan Fazio Foundation for Melanoma Research
- Teb's Troops, Inc.
View a list of financial assistance resources available to melanoma patients and their families.
Travel Assistance - Flights
Though some airlines offer compassionate airfare, similar to bereavement airfare, the following organizations help people in need seek free air transportation to specialized health care facilities.
- Air Care Alliance
- Corporate Angel Network Inc.
- Mercy Medical Airlift
- The National Patient Travel Center
Medicare is a government-sponsored health insurance program for people age 65 or older, some disabled people under age 65 and people of all ages with end-stage renal disease.
View and listen to recordings of previous melanoma educational events.
Many hotels near cancer centers and major healthcare facilities offer discounts to patients. Below is a list of housing resources for patients and their families when they travel for medical treatment. Please contact the treatment centers directly via their websites or toll-free numbers for more information.
- American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge – find a Hope Lodge in one of 22 states
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (Boston, MA)
- Fox Chase Cancer Center (Philadelphia, PA)
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA)
- Joe’s House (a nationwide lodging guide for cancer patients
- Johns Hopkins (Baltimore, MD)
- Mayo Clinic (Arizona, Florida and Minnesota)
- MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston, TX)
- UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center (Chapel Hill, NC)